Hi Kids! Welcome to February’s Sweet Adventures Blog Hop. This month’s theme is Childhood Favourites. I don’t think there was a kid’s party in Australia during the 90′s that didn’t have Mars Bar Slice. It was absolutely the childhood favourite for my little circle of friends. For those not familiar with Mars Bar Slice (who are you?!) - it’s a simple no-bake slice that has a rice bubble, butter and Mars Bar base with a melted chocolate topping. My love for Mars Bar Slice continued into my teens. I remember a school friend’s mother used to bribe, I mean encourage, me to get involved with school activities with a few sneaky containers of Mars Bar Slice. Want me to join a school committee? That’s at least 2 containers of Mars Bar Slice, thank you. This month’s challenge was all about taking a sweet treat that you loved as a child and turning it into a more adult dessert. I was inspired by the Mars Bar Slice to make an indulgent chocolate cupcake with coffee and rum notes, with rich chocolate icing, topped with salted caramel drizzle and a crumble of Mars Bar Slice. It’s almost like death by Mars Bar! You could also add the salted caramel as a filling inside the cupcake. The Mars Bar Slice recipe is an Aussie classic taken from The Australian Women’s Weekly Cakes and Slice Cookbook, original published in 1989.
- 195g Mars Bar, chopped
- 90g unsalted butter
- 3 cups Rice Bubbles
- Grease and line and lamington pan (19cm x 29cm).
- Combine Mars Bars and butter in a large saucepan, stir constantly over low heat until mixture is melted.
- Take saucepan off the heat, pour in the Rice Bubbles and stir to combine.
- Press mixture into prepared pan, refrigerate until set before cutting into squares.
Slice keeps for about 1 week in the fridge.
- 55g cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 113g brown sugar
- 30ml dark spiced rum (I used Sailor Jerrys)
- 250ml boiling water
- 150g unsalted butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 190g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarb soda
- Preheat a fanforced oven to 160 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with 12 cases.
- Combine cocoa powder, instant coffee powder, brown sugar, rum and boiling water in a small bowl. Whisk to combine all ingredients and set aside.
- Cream butter and caster sugar using an electric mixer. Add 2 eggs and mix to combine.
- Double sift the flour and baking powder and bicarb soda.
- Add flour to butter mixture and beat to combine.
- Add cocoa mixture and beat until to combined. Once combined, beat on medium for 2 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake in the oven for 20-24mins.
- Cool cupcakes for 5 mins in tray and then cool on tracks.
The rich chocolate icing recipe is from Death By Chocolate Cupcakes by Sallys Baking Addiction. The salted caramel recipe is from Homemade Salted Caramel recipe by Sallys Baking Addiction.
Sweet Adventures Blog Hop: How to link-up
- Add a link to this post somewhere in your post – You won’t be able to link up in the hop without a ‘backlink’ to this hostess post included in your post.
- Click here for the Thumbnail List code – Copy the code and add it to the bottom of your post in HTML view.
- Click here to Enter the Hop – Make sure to do this step so you appear in the list too! Add the link to your SABH post (NOT your homepage). Your entry will be submitted when you click ‘crop’ on your photo.
If you have a question or aren’t sure of something don’t hesitate to ask. For more information detailed instructions can be found here. Remember, SABH is open to all food bloggers but only new posts published after the hop goes live can be linked up. Sweet Adventures Blog Hop is brought to you by 84th & 3rd and monthly Guest Hostesses. Follow on Twitter: @SweetAdvBlogHop and Facebook: /SweetAdventuresBlogHop for new hop announcements and general deliciousness. Thanks for joining SABH!