[Note: Miss Sweet is currently eating her weight in pasta in Venice and gelato in Florence, so here's a post that we prepared earlier. the sticky and sweet will be back in the kitchen at the end of June.]
Is there anything better than rich, decadent Chocolate Cupcakes? Yes. Chocolate Cupcakes with Nutella Icing.
Cleaning out the kitchen cupboards I discovered a huge jar of UN-OPENED Nutella. WHAT?! How long had that been hiding up the back of the pantry?? Well, you will be shocked to learn that a jar of Nutella had remained in our house, un-eaten, for more than 9 MONTHS. I’m really not sure how that even happened… Probably witchcraft.
I made these Chocolate Cupcakes for a relaxed Sunday lunch with family and they were such a perfect sweet treat after a long lunch. Mr Sticky’s brother snuck an extra cupcake when (he thought) no one was looking. Damn that screwed up cupcake liner for giving it all away!
- 7 tablespoons of cacoa powder (or raw cocoa powder)
- 1 tablespoon of instant coffee
- ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed into cup
- 30ml bourbon
- 300ml boiling water
- 150g unsalted butter, chopped into pieces
- ⅔ cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 and ½ cups plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarb soda
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius in a fan forced oven. Line a cupcake pan with 12 cupcake cases.
- Put the cacao powder, coffee, brown sugar, and bourbon in a bowl. Add the boiling water and whisk lightly to remove any lumps. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar. Add the eggs and beat until combined.
- Double sift the flour, baking powder and bicarb soda.
- Add the flour mix to the butter mix and beat until combined.
- Add the cocoa mix into the batter and beat on low to medium speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes, or until the batter thickens.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases, aim to ¾ fill the cases.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes. Take out of the oven and rest in pan for 5 minutes and then remove and cool on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before icing
- 110g unsalted butter
- 300g icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 heaped tablespoons Nutella
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer. Add small amounts of the icing sugar, cacao powder and milk in alternate stages, mixing after each addition.
- When mixed completely, add the Nutella and beat on medium, until well combined with the icing.
- Using a piping bag, pipe the icing over 12-16 cupcakes.