It’s that time of year. Christmas is only a few days away and the mad scramble to get presents for your loved ones is probably in full swing.
Just when you think you’ve bought all the presents and they are wrapped underneath the tree – you remember “[Insert expletive], my cousin’s husband!” And back to the shopping centre you go!
The week before Christmas is when tensions are high. Seriously high.
The shopping centre carparks are battle zones. You would elbow an elderly woman out of the way to get your hands on the last pudding in the David Jones’ food hall. And if Myers plays ONE more Christmas Carol!!
I like to find the perfect present. I take notes during the year on hints dropped and ideas that come to me.
I’m even getting a reputation in my office on being the one to help workshop ideas for our “secret” Kris Kringle. I can tell you exactly what the lady in Accounts wants/needs for Christmas.
My family is really into present giving too. Mama and Papa Sweet are very generous and they always made Christmas a big deal. It’s still a big deal even now that us kids are all grown up.
We used to circle what we wanted in catalogues that came in the post, months before Mrs Claus had even started making her list for Santa.
But it’s not all about the presents, it’s a time for sitting down with loved ones, sharing a meal and toasting to another great year.
So however you are celebrating this year, I wish you a very happy time with the ones that love and are loved in return.
This recipe for Chocolate Candy Cane Cupcakes is part of the Sweet for Santa Sweet Adventures Blog Hop.
- 1½ cups plain flour, double sifted to make an extra smooth consistencey
- ½ cup of high quality cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 160g unsalted butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons full cream milk
- Peppermint cream cheese icing
- 60g unsalted butter
- 100g cream cheese
- 450g icing sugar, sifted
- 5-8 drops of peppermint essence
- 6 candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Line a 12 hole cupcake tin with liners of your choice.
- Add all ingredients to mixing bowl. Beat on low speed until blended, then on medium speed for two minutes.
- Fill your cupcake liners with the batter, aim to fill about ¾ of the way.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan for five minutes and then turn out onto wire rack.
- To make the icing:
- Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Slowly add icing sugar in stages until combined. Add peppermint essence to taste.
- Using a palette knife, or back of a butter knife, spread icing onto cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle crushed candy canes onto top of cupcakes.